Friday, February 24, 2012

Project Life

I don't remember the first time I heard about Project Life or what exactly finally triggered me to give it a try. I do remember following Ali Edwards blog and her journey with it last year. So in November of 2011 when new supplies became available on Amazon, I ordered a big variety pack of pocket pages, a package of design G, a package of 12x12 and a package of 6x12 page protectors, several packages of big envelopes, the dividers and a package of grid cards and got started! I didn't have a core kit at the time and put one on my Seeley Christmas exchange list. I decided not to wait for new year or a Core Kit to start and just jumped right in. My first week started on 11/28/11. My other reason for starting then was I have always wanted to do a Daily December album like Ali does and thought this might be a way to combine them both.

I decided my approach to Project Life was to take photos throughout the week of whatever struck me. At the end of the week, I'd pick my favorites and put them in the album. I was not doing a photo a day approach. I found the first week I had more photos I wanted to use than would fit into two page protectors. So the first thing I had to figure out was how to include more photos. I ended up using most of the pockets for photos. I didn't know at the time what was included in the Core Kit and what options I had for the 4x3 pockets.

Here's a look at my first week.

I did two inserts this week. The first is a 6x12 insert with journaling on the front. I print everything at home on my HP Photosmart printer that only prints 8.5x11. So to make a full 6x12 insert, I print a 6x11 and a 6x2 piece of digital paper on the same 8.5x11. Then I cut apart the pieces and attached the 2"strip of paper along the top or bottom of the 6x11 to make a 6x12. I've been very happy with the way it looks. That's what I did for this insert. I included my bidding number for the Festival of Wreaths and a Costco receipt in one pocket for some some items other than photos this week.


The above photo shows the back of the 6x12 insert which includes the rest of my journaling and the front side of my 2nd insert which is an 8.5x11. I included the flier for the Merry Middlebury Celebration.

The above photo shows the final look at the first week with back side of the 8.5x11 insert containing Ben's read-a-thon certificate and the final page of photos. When I started I didn't know what was included in the core kit or the direction of the title cards. I did get the Turquoise Core Kit from Trudy for Christmas (thanks Trudy!) The only problem I found was everything in the Core Kit was designed for 4x6 horizontal title cards and vertical 4x3 journaling cards and I was not doing things the traditional way. I did add a kit title card after I got the kit for Christmas. It is going the wrong direction but that hasn't bothered me too much. I didn't do any corner rounding or adding any embellishments this week. Although when I got the kit, I did add a sticker and arrow to the picture of Ben and Becka holding hands on the first page.

I'll be back with more looks at my other weeks and my project life album in later posts!

No comments: